View Single Post
Old 06-04-2020, 11:36 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Hi JP
Just some info on newts and mounts ......
I’ve been imaging with newts for 4 years , both a 6” f6 on a HEQ5 mount and an 8” f5 newt on a EQ6-R mount both using a Canon 600D
If you choose to do Astrophotography to an intermediate level with a newt 8” or larger and want to take long exposures ( 5 minute + ) with guiding , then I strongly recommend you choose a mount with bigger payload capacity like an EQ6-R
The HEQ5 is fine to use for visual observation with an 8” but will struggle with Astrophotography to an intermediate level. I’m not saying you can’t do it but it is going to struggle especially if there is a little bit of wind blowing during imaging
In Astrophotography the mount is of prime importance and good images rely on smooth tracking and good guiding from a strong robust mount, the remainder is up to the optics of your scope and of course the atmospheric conditions
A HEQ5 mount has a maximum payload rating ( visual ) of 13.5 kg. The recommended general rule of thumb for Astrophotography payload is 65% of the max rating of the mount.So the recommended maximum AP payload for the HEQ5 would be 8.7kg. An 8” f5 newt with DSLR imaging camera and coma corrector , dovetail bars, guide scope , guide camera , dew straps , cables , hardware , finder ( optional ) etc... would be around 14.5kg. So you would be putting a huge strain on the HEQ5 mount with 14.5kg on board. The next size up for Skywatcher mounts is the EQ6-R which has a maximum payload rating of 22kg ( recommended AP payload rating of 14kg ) So an 8” f5 newt with all AP gear will track and guide beautifully on the EQ6-R mount.Most sessions I’m guiding under an arc sec with that set up and take +5 minute exposures comfortably
My HEQ5 carry’s the 6” f6 newt quite well, but I would never even consider putting my 8” f5 on it.
Anyway others may have different opinions but I’m talking from personal experience over 3 years and imaging from Sydney Bortle 8 skies and my weekender south coast NSW under Bortle 3 skies

If budget is a problem then why not buy a 6” f5 or 6” f6 newt to put on a HEQ5, you will still get great images and you can still use it for visual as well with some quality eye pieces if you want to do both forms of the hobby

Best of luck and hope others chime in and offer some more advice

Cheers