View Single Post
Old 06-04-2020, 10:22 AM
jahnpahwa (JP)

The more I read, the more I want, the more I need to spend

Hi guys,
I know these questions come up a lot, and I've read a bunch of them, I promise! I have some specific questions about a first "real" telescope set-up that I'm on the brink of purchasing.
I'll try to keep my questions specific, but feel free to give general feedback too

The set up I'm thinking about is the "photo newt" package at andrewscom at hte moment, an 8" SW newt OTA, F5 I think, on an HEQ5 mount, and also a second hand eos 1100D or 550D. I had originally thought a non-goto 8" dob would be perfect, but as per the title, I keep reading and...

My thoughts with this set up are that I can get visual wows instantly with the kids (9 and 3, not long attention spans), while also preparing for the inevitability that I'll want to take some pics. As I've read more about gear and viewing experience I understand that viewing galaxies in particular, and nebulae to a lesser extent, is less mind blowing than I might have expected, so I'll want to generate images of them, I'm sure.

So, questions.

1) Am i giving up much (or any) visual power going with an 8" OTA on an EQ mount like this VS an 8" dob? I assume not, but want to make sure. I dont mind a bit of extra set up, my idea is that I'll get out at dusk, set up and then we can take a look before kids bedtime.

2) What is guiding? I assumed that once I got locked onto an object I could just start taking pics with the synscan goto system just keeping it all in view and it would all be good? In this respect, I also wonder if I can just use this mount purely as a push to sort of thing? If I'd like to set up in a jiffy to show the kids the moon, for eg, I can just make it all happen manually without any issue?

3) With the camera, I'm thinking I'll just start without trying to remove any filters, but the idea of pulling it apart does appeal. Is there anything else I'll (physically) need other than a T-ring adapter? I'm planning on a remote release, for sure.

Thanks so much!

(also, I'm forgetting a whole lot of stuff, so may come back and add and add and add!)