View Single Post
Old 14-01-2018, 03:40 PM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

Nuclear attack:- What to do?

The people in Hawaii were subjected to a false alarm and it was forty minutes before they were told it was a false alarm. Apparently there was panic etc. I would like to think that in Oz we would react better, but Cairns had a tsunami warning concerning just the shoreline about 10 years ago and many people headed for the hills. (The sea did rise about 300mm.)

Anyway, a nuclear blast, what should U do? Well, my understanding is that many would survive the blast but would be killed over time because of the radiation. My best advice is to stay at home. Providing the home survives the blast, it will shield U from 90% of the radiation. These are mainly short-period decay particles from the blast and they will mainly clear from the sky in about two weeks. Even if the building has broken windows and dust blows in, the building will still be protecting you from the major proportion of the radiation. So stay at home, inside for 2 weeks and your chances of not getting cancer or other radiation inducted illnesses will be greatly improved.

Don't go sightseeing or checking up on the relatives. A car will give some protection from radiation, but it is only slight compared to staying at home.

Anyway, I trust we have some smart guys on IIS and some may be ex-army. I have put up my 'strawman', on what is the best way to react according to what I have read on the subject of nuclear attacks.

Agree/Disagree with my advice or can U provide a better informed plan?