View Single Post
Old 14-06-2019, 05:30 PM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

Agree with Brian,

Best bang for buck scopes on the market are the Dobs...

Regarding AP, you'll be very limited in exposure times & in what you can take images of with a non-tracking mount but... don't despair.. you should be able to get some captures.. Lunar & maybe some short video captures of the brighter planets as it slides through your field of view...

I'm very much of the view of ring what you can out of what you have.... so whilst you might not be able to capture pin point, razor sharp images of faint fuzzies you should be able to get some acceptable images with this... if you do, chuck em up on the beginners imaging thread, tell us what you used, your settings, etc.. & invite comment... don't worry about the naysayers who say it can't be done.. it can.. there are just limits...

My first ever image of Saturn was through a Meade APO on a non tracking mount with an iPhone pressed against the eyepiece... I was as impressed as hell...

For video processing for lunar & planetary stuff, have a look for Autostakkert & Registax.. both free downloads & essential for processing & stacking video frames to produce sharper images...

With this scope, you'll be able to grab plenty of good stuff visually... I have an 8" SCT, different design but, similar light capture characteristics and I've seen down to Mag 9.4 galaxies from my backyard here in Cairns (which doesn't have quite as pristine skies as you'd expect but, they aren't bad) & down to 11.5 mag galaxies under dark skies...

I'd imagine where you are, your skies should be pretty good... ask tonnes of questions on here mate, there are so many people who are generous with their experience... I've learned most of what I know about astronomy & AP thus far (& it's not much really) from this forum & some long distance friendships I've made through the forum...

to one of the most addictive pastimes there is...