View Single Post
Old 08-06-2019, 01:22 PM
Renato1 (Renato)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWynter View Post
"Nice view" doesn't mean resolving more details. You can increase magnification, the view in EP would be bigger, but it doesn't mean that you will resolve more faint details on the surface of the Jupiter. It could be just opposite. Sometimes you lowering the magnification and you see more. Smaller view, but more details.

Wavytone was correct saying - it's also depends on target. I've got 100ED and I found that for Moon I can set anything up to 3D (D is the diameter of aperture in mm's so it's x300) and I'll be fine. Amazing views. But Moon is very bright and contrast.

For Jupiter, I found that magnifications between x130x to just over x180 (so it's between 1.3D and 1.8D) work really well. Going over x180 on most days is useless - no increase in details resolution even with ED refractor.

Saturn on the other hand can tolerate a bit higher resolution - up to 2.2D (x220).

0.5D - 0.7D is best for DSO as it gives nice 2mm - 1.5mm exit pupil for DSO's. To resolve stars in globulars you can go up to 1D.
Thanks for your perspective. But if you get good views at 300X on the moon with your 100mm ED, I suspect that you will be able to get at or near that on Jupiter under the right conditions.

Like you I couldn't get good views on Jupiter past around 167X most times I tried it. But I was viewing at an angle of 45 to 60 degrees - where there were bound to be some houses along that line of sight putting out heat.

But at 2.30 to 3am this morning, Jupiter was probably 80 degrees up in the sky, Thus I was looking over less properties, and most people had gone to bed and turned off their heaters, and the atmosphere was steady.

Could it be that the moon is more often in a better position than Jupiter is, for you to get your nice 300X view?

I agree with you about the DSOs. A 2mm exit pupil, or slightly higher magnification in light polluted areas, gives the best view. I was making out a few little points of light in globular M22 with a 1mm exit pupil this morning.
Regards,
Renato