View Single Post
Old 25-06-2018, 05:30 PM
gaseous (Patrick)

Hi Dave, welcome aboard.

Jeez, where to start. I've got an 8" F6 dob like you, and the Baader Zoom is probably my most used eyepiece - it's a cracker. Possibly not the widest FOV, but for me the convenience more than compensates for this.

A T5 31mm Nagler is probably approaching (if not at) the pinnacle of longer fl eyepieces, with a commensurate pricetag. If money is no object, then knock yourself out. I've got an Explore Scientific 30mm 82° which I really like and is probably my second-most used EP, and according to a lot of reports it compares reasonably well with the Nagler for quite a lot less $$$.

With this and the zoom you'd probably have your medium-long focal length EP requirements covered for the time being. If you're into planets as well, then something in a shorter FL would probably suit, although I've found the Baader Zoom works pretty well in a 2" Barlow and would give you 300x in the dob, which is probably high enough to be getting on with for planets. Others will no doubt weigh in with their own opinions and preferences.

If you're chasing any kind of DSO which warrants a filter, then I'd assume the dob would be the scope of choice due to the 8x light gathering power over the Meade, so I'd probably go with a 2" filter. You'll get great widefield views through a 30-31mm EP, and it'll work in the zoom and/or barlow as well. I can't imagine how dim the view would be with a narrowband filter in a 70mm scope. Again, others may have differing opinions, but my 1.25" filters don't get a lot of use unless I'm hunting planetary nebulae at higher magnifications.

Good luck, clear skies, and deep wallets....