View Single Post
Old 14-12-2016, 01:43 AM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonosheehy View Post
I have just purchased a pair of Acuter 15 x 70 binoculars (currently on a great special at that link, by the way: $130, down from $280, and the store homepage offers a $10-off Christmas coupon too; no, I'm not affiliated in any way ) with the intention of making a binocular mirror mount (guided by these instructions from Sky at Night Magazine).

But..... Sourcing first/front surface mirrors in Australia hasn't proven easy.

Can anyone help or give advice regarding this, please?

In the event that I can't get something suitable in Australia, a couple of international options I have seen include:
  • firstsurfacemirrors.com (quotes US$26.67 for a 6" x 8" x 6mm glass mirror, + US$82.63 postage)... I wonder how good the optical quality is on that mirror? Good enough for 15 x 70 binoculars? How about bigger binoculars, if I upgrade in the future (and purchased a bigger mirror up front)? Their info implies it is probably "1λ optical grade", but also says they have available λ/4 optical grade "for superior surface flatness, which is ideal for applications where the reflection is being magnified." I don't know about pricing on the latter.
  • this eBay listing (12" x 12", 96% reflective optical grade mirror for US$19.95 + US$33.57 postage)... Again I wonder how good the optical quality is on that mirror, and what size binoculars it could optically support?

Again, any advice about this whole operation would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Jonathan
I got mine many years ago from a mirror and glass company in Albion Brisbane, I wouldn't even know if they exist anymore.
Have look on line or the phone book for a glass company in Albion you may just strike it lucky.
Ring around glass fitters or companies,there is bound to be one that sells first surface mirrors.
Cheers