View Single Post
Old 11-03-2009, 05:06 PM
pjphilli (Peter)

Hi Peter
If you are using PHD you can turn on the fine grid and the RA/DEC real time graph to make sure that you are guiding properly and that the guide star is not moving on the screen. If this is OK then it looks to me like a bad case of flexure. As mentioned previously this may mean that your guide/imaging scopes are not secured properly. Give them a good wiggle and see how they move. Flexure usually occurs in RA when the scopes track across the sky and they lean more or less on their mounts so that the move relative to one another. Although this movement may be very slight it can still result in high pixel drift in RA. I have been plagued by this problem and recently had to build a new platform for my scopes to reduce it. It is worse the longer focal length you use on your imaging scope and the longer images that you take.
If this is your problem you will have to examine how you can stiffen up the mounting of one or both or your scopes to prevent relative movement between them as they track across the sky. Hope this all makes sense.
Cheers Peter