View Single Post
Old 02-06-2019, 08:54 AM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

I have tested some of my EPs with my similarly Vixen ED 115mm (F7.7) and I would recommend either of the following sets:

Two Tak Abbe Orthoscopics and a Vixen Plossl, which are parafocal.

The Vixen 30mm covers a wide field and is a great EP for navigation. I recently sold my Tak LE30mm because I found both EPs to perform similarly. The Vixen eyelens is deeply recessed, so is unlikely to have dirity eyelashes contacting it.

The 18mm ortho will give 50x and this is a perfect magnification for use on the Moon at Public Viewing events. If will also work well on Nebulae and star clusters.

The 9mm ortho will work well on planets, giving 100x. The orthos have long been held as the gold standard of EPs to use on planets and double stars. Other, far more expense EPs have almost caught up (maybe they have), but reviewers still say that these expensive EPs are ortho-like in performance.

IMO, the 6mm ortho has insufficient eyerelief for the public to comfortably use, but is well suited for personal use.

Orthos use a tougher glass on the outside, so do not scratch easily. Consequently, they are easier to clean without causing damage.

The Vixen is available through Myastroshop and the Taks through the Astronomy & Electronics Centre.

Or go with Televue Plossls.

A 25mm plossl is a very useful EP for general viewing and navigation. Pair that with a 11mm plossl and they become a good combination that is simple to use.

The upside with the Televues is that it could be a springboard to better EPs later on. I mainly use Televue Delites myself, but would probably not use them at a viewing event for the general public.

Televues are available through Bintel.

Both sets of EPs are pictured below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Foot & display EPs 006.jpg)
212.0 KB13 views
Click for full-size image (Foot & display EPs 008.jpg)
171.4 KB7 views

Last edited by Tropo-Bob; 02-06-2019 at 06:10 PM.