View Single Post
Old 04-05-2012, 03:59 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Yes, I can see that point. One would need to qualify any colour perception according to the filter being used.

Yet, it is not like those "filtered" colours are not there in the first place. These filters transmit the very colours at which nebulae glow at, be they reflection or emission. Hb filters in the red, OIII in blue, NPB in both red & blue. The nebulae are being shown in there true state, particularly considering that at such dim levels of light our eyes see things in black and white! I'd disagree then that filters give an artificial colouration to nebulae.

For this I would then say that "bets are still ON" .

Age, individual colour sensitivity, even sex (yes, girls see colours better than boys, and colourblindness is less common in shielas too!), all weigh in too. Aperture, eyepiece coatings, seeing, all play a roll too.

I would say that whatever colour is seen, be it neat or via a filter, it is all legitimate as it is entirely at the eyepiece. Otherwise we would need to say that the colour rendition of all computer processed images are valid, when each image there is truly artificial 100%, as it wholly relies on the person behind the keyboard. I dare to have anyone disagree there!