View Single Post
Old 24-08-2017, 08:15 AM
Shano592 (Shane)

OAG and Extension Tubes

Hi All,

I would like to invoke the brains trust for a moment, if I may.

I have the LX200 10-inch scope, and for imaging I have been taking short frames through an EOS50D unmodded or EOS20D modded, setup on a T-ring. No problems there, aside from PEBTAG* issues.

However, I also have an Off-Axis Guider that has been sitting idle in my kit for several years.

Also, a couple of years ago I bought an appropriate webcam and had the LX-upgrade done to it. This has pretty much sat next to the OAG since then.

The LX has a wedge, which doesn't get used a lot, but I am wanting to change that, and try to get some guiding going. Software and hardware are covered, mostly. My big issue at the moment seems to be spacers for Off-Axis Guiding.

Do I space the webcam, or do I space the EOS? The reason I ask is because finding 1.25-inch extension tubes is pretty hard. I can find a lot of 2-inch sets. Bintel has a Televue set, and there are several on Aliexpress and eBay.

For those who have walked this path with similar setups, how did you proceed?

FWIW, I haven't set this up as a whole yet, but I am planning to this weekend if the weather holds, just to have a rough idea of where things are.

Also, at this stage I wish to pursue OAG rather than a separate guide scope. I value Don@Bintel's advice, and this was his recommendation with such a long focal length (2.5m).

Thanks all. Parking will be validated on the way out.

* Problem Exists Between Telescope And Ground.