View Single Post
Old 30-04-2012, 06:27 PM
mbaddah (Mo)

What settings do you use for time-lapse star trails?

I want to attempt a shot at star trails and create a timelapse version of it as well. I was experimenting a little on the weekend. Using my Canon 40D + Tamron 17-50mm lens, hooked up to a laptop running EOS utility, my settings were:

- Aperture F5.6
- ISO 100
- Exposure time of 8 minutes.
- Focal length 17mm.

After a while I realised a few problems with this setup:

1) EOS utility does not allow you to set a shorter delay between shots then the exposure time using the self timer!? I.e. If I'm exposing the shot for 8minutes, the interval between the next shot must be at least 8minutes and 1 seconds!!! Not sure how one is meant to circumvent this ? If I press the shutter manually, I can kick off the next shot within 5 seconds of the previous shot finishing. Obviously I don't want to sit there waiting to press the next shot

2) 17mm does not seem wide enough on a crop frame, or is it just me ?

3) How many darks do you take at the end ?

4) How do you minimise the lag in between shots? By turning the noise reduction feature off, I managed to bring down the "BUSY" time from several minutes to several seconds! Just wondering if there's anything else I can do?

There were few other things nibbling at me... I'll post them up when i remember. I'd appreciate any tips, thanks