View Single Post
Old 30-07-2018, 01:20 AM
Jasp05 (Aaron)

How to know if OTA is a decent scope

Hi guys. I bought an eq3 mount a while back that came with an 8 inch reflector for 100 bucks.

However the mount nor OTA has any markings as to brand or specs.

I pulled the mirror out of the ota and measured focal length. (Set up a lamp with a piece of white card next to it. And moved the mirror in till i got sharp focus on the paper). Measured 1500mm or there abouts. So i assume its an 8 inch f4 scope.(half the distance for focal length - approx 750mm. Seems odd so assumed 800mm fl).

Mirror has seen better days, and focuser is only single speed. Is it worth upgrading the focuser to a dual speed and try using it for some astrophotography. Ive tried to find focus with my dslr attached and its a very fine threshold to find. I think too fine for the single speed focuser to get. (Put it this way.i haven't been able to snap an infocus image of the moon with it yet. (Although i have only tried with a quick collimation).

And how much would collimation play into being able to get sharp focus on such a "Fast" scope. (There is no centre mark on the mirror and i am yet to mark it. So have eyeballed collimation with a laser collimator for now).

Do you think i've picked up a bargain and would be worth throwing some cash at it to spruce it up? Will be perched upon an heq5pro if it gets used.