View Single Post
Old 25-03-2010, 11:00 PM
ngcles
The Observologist

Hi Malcolm,

Excellent report Malcolm. You've really got to wonder how Messier & Co missed NGC 3521. Very bright galaxy (in context) and easy to see in small apertures.

I'm a bit of a fan of NGC 2613 in Pyxis. The view in 12" is excellent. I really like nice galaxies in star-littered fields -- even if it makes finding a little testy sometimes.

Re NGC 5986 in Lupus, were you able to see any stars in it? The v-tip is +13.2 so you'd expect a 12" to show some stars. Set against that, here is an old 25cm observation I made back in 1995 from suburbia:

x86, x138. 35' & 21' TF. Mag 7.1 Size 9.5. A very attractive cluster, only 1 * of note in the field at mag 8.5. Strong granularity with sparkliness. Est CC 6-7, appears about 6' diameter.

-- so I failed in suburbia (I rated the transparency at 5-6/10) but it did look granular with a hint of sparkles, so I must have been close to seeing stars in that aperture.

So who can see stars in this one? Must take a look again mext month (if I remember) up at Mudgee with the 46cm.

Best,

Les D