View Single Post
Old 13-11-2018, 06:21 PM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silv View Post
<lots of good wisdom>
Hello Annette,

Great points, all of them. I agree that it's the twilight of paper books (at least in our Medical curriculum here). And with that change, something is lost. Reflective research will be done - I'd be interested to follow some balanced investigation into that.

One thing that I agree with in this transition, is the big cut in textbook expenses for students. All these online systems and content cost money, but need only be done once. Subsequent copies are free (obvious statement). High textbook costs (some fields in particular) have worked against accessibility. I hope we're helping in this aspect.

In a time of big cuts to our sector, I consider it a privilege that my employer has invested a few thousand in this experiment.

As you hinted, some people can "flesh out" a 2D illustration into the 3D space of their mind - and some can't. If I can prevent a single student from having to repeat a year, this experiment has paid for itself. In reality, I think the result will be more qualitative along some/most of the cohort.

In regards to Astro, I've found IIS to be a great help to my work. Some AP threads have proven relevant to the CMOS cameras mounted on our microscopes here. I've managed to solve some issues in-house, from what this place has taught me