View Single Post
Old 08-10-2010, 11:11 PM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzy View Post
Thank you Ron for posting that fabulous report, sounds like you had a very busy night. That bit about you nearly having to dig a hole was so funny.

I've never posted an obs report here before (feel a bit nervous truth be known), but I made lots of notes on my last few obs, so I will give it a go to post it here soon. Due to poor weather, I haven't been able to observe for a month (except for 30mts when the sky cleared one strange night), so reflecting back doing the report will probably make me feel like I'm out there again .

I will endeavour to prioritise making these reports as I feel they are such an important part of visual observers and too little of it on this forum compared to so much astrophotography here. I love reading the reports and seeing the sketches, and I know many of you'll do as well, so that being said, I should contribute as well.
Go Suzy! It will be great to read your reports and have another contributor to the reports section. For a long time I didn't understand writing observation reports, but I've found it transforms the whole experience of observing.

Oh, and you're absolutely right about feeling like you're back out there again when writing up. I find when I'm listening to my tape and typing up, I can see the objects again in my mind's eye quite clearly. When I have time to also look up the classification of the object, be it a cluster, nebula or galaxy, I find I start to understand the classification system much better and hence the objects I've observed. It's also quite interesting to then look at images of the object and I find it surprising how much can be seen in faint fuzzies quite accurately. And also that some of the patterns/asterisms that the eye sees don't show up in images.

Again I say and and