View Single Post
Old 16-03-2017, 10:47 PM
BarneyMaroon (Tony)

Advice on set-up

I swore I would not get into AP, but loving photography and astronomy it did not take that long for me to buy a T-ring. I have not gone into boots-and-all, and am just using gear that I have.

Travelling scope Skywatcher 400mm focal length ST80. 2xBarlow (so the moon is full shot), extender tube (to achieve focus).
Used as prime focus lens on Olympus EM5 Micro 4/3
I took the attached shot. 1/320 and ISO400.

I would appreciate some advice on the following questions. Thanks in advance to helpful folk on iceinspace.

1. If I wanted to make it sharper would I by an ED80 or start taking more images and stacking them together.?

2. I tried prime focus on my Meade 8'' (about 1 hour after moon rise), and frankly it was not any sharper. It was poor seeing. Should I expect sharper moon shots from the Meade?

3. I bought a tube while allows me to put an EP between the camera and scope. I have tried these with the SW ST80 and not been super impressed (possibly no better than cropping a prime focus shot). In this case I would have used Vixen LV 15mm and 25mm EPs. Is this because it is basically a dumb idea? Or I need a different set-up to do this? Or should I keep trying?

Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (P3073778ice1.jpg)
102.4 KB68 views