View Single Post
Old 04-12-2011, 05:40 PM
bmitchell82 (Brendan)
Newtonian power! Love it!

Okay so im not a complete expert on the whole RC system, but i have played around and helped a good friend of mine who has had both GSO and high end RC's.

As for the screws adjusting the whole rear OTA i don't think so, that would mean that the OTA would have to be disconnected from the rear cell.?

I believe that the difference between the floating and fixed is to do with the actual mirror and its mounting in particular both high end and GSO scopes use push pull - locking screws on the rear cell but unlike the high end scopes GSO is basically head in place with mirror clips where the high end is actually has a screw down fitting. Like i said this isn't gospil facts its only my understanding so if somebody else has actually pulled both types of scopes apart then please drop in.

It is this reason then why the tak collimation scope works really well on the high end scopes and the other method i mentioned coupled with the star test works well for floating systems

Brendan

Brendan, would you care to elaborate on the RC8 floating / fixed primary mirror?

As I posted elsewhere, I had read in another forum that the rear adjustment screws actually align the rear OTA assembly, rather than the mirror, with the secondary. That being the case, what is is the primary mirror "floating" on for support, and what are your recommendations for adjusting the rear screws