Thread: Digital SLR
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2007, 09:48 AM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Bigger is better according to the boys in marketing...
Spot on Alex. The boys in marketing have everyone by the curlies over this. There seems to be a common perception amongst users that more pixels mean better pictures. Looking at all the websites I could over this question, I have come to my own conclusion that there seems to be far more to camera performance than mere megapixels. There is way too much technical info on it to even try to understand the argument as mere mortals, and this is the tool that the marketers use to baffle us - so we blindly go along thinking that resolution is the answer. The fact that there are people intent on "upgrading" to the next camera just because the newer model sports another 2 million wondrous pixels is unbelievable. I suppose they are under the impression that their work will suddenly be far more satisfactory as a result.

I agree IF users are professionals who want to put their work into large, very high quality print or for some scientific analytical task. For taking piccies of the stars for our web-based image catalogues or for print in Sky & Telescope? I'm not so sure.