View Single Post
Old 23-08-2020, 01:27 AM
AG Hybrid (Adrian)
A Friendly Nyctophiliac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mental4astro View Post
Adrian, you cannot freehand cut Coreflute - can't control knife and not safe. A metre long metal ruler, or metre long strip of aluminium. And work out a way that will allow you to line up the ruler to the cell that will be cut, and ONLY that cell. And then move onto the next...

Yeah, I can see that I really never hated using power. I just did not like how it has been used by amateurs, with heat. I too started using heat, but one post many years ago by an old IIS friend warned me against it with Newt mirrors. This got me thinking about the whole thing more closely and looking at how the Big Boys do it in the professional observatories, and then work out ways I can apply the same methods. Using fans seems simple at first, but use them incorrectly and you will induce the same thermal strain issues into glass but with cold.

I've used a 140mm fan on the back of my 12" for years as a tool for dew prevention as well cooling. I leave it running all night. 4 nights ago I left my 12" out to cooldown with out a fan and the primary had dew on it in only 2 hours. I pulled it out of a relatively warm garage too.