View Single Post
Old 07-06-2014, 09:39 PM
Steffen
Ebotec Alpeht Sicamb

Smile Radioactivity and an emerald

What a night this is turning out to be. The bureau had us down for rain well into next week, but here I am, enjoying a mostly clear night and some reasonable seeing from my backyard in Toongabbie.

The half Moon doesn't bother me much, as usual, since I chase doubles during nights like these. Running my 6" Mak at 360x the diffraction rings still form a rotating radioactivity sign 50% of the time, but the other 50% it's very decent and allows me to confirm critical collimation.

So off to Antares I slew, and there it is, the little blue companion that actually looks green, clear as [..something very clear..]. I drag the family away from the TV and make them all look, they can all easily see it and are excited

Oh, and the planets. Mars is rather close to the Moon tonight so there is some glare in the FOV, and it's becoming eggy. Mars season will soon come to an end. Saturn on the other hand is its gorgeous self with sharp Cassini division and milky crepe ring, and a crowd pleaser as always.

Long story short, don't believe gloomy weather forecasts, check for yourself and don't be afraid of the Moon. There is a lot more out there than nebulae and galaxies.

Cheers
Steffen.