View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012, 08:52 PM
Bolts_Tweed (Mark)

G'day Brendan

I will post something soon on a camera I just finished building. Got the idea from a couple of guys at the AIC last November. I used my qhy5 (not needed anymore as I am guiding with the st11k) but if you have an old DSI or similar it will work just as well. I cAn also provide software from the Californian guys that uses Maxim to control the camera and either save and overwrite each image for web page updating etc or can save images (jpgs) sequentially to string together to make videos of say meteor showers - images aren't high photographic quality but are great for cloud detection (similar to the other all sky cameras I've seen). All up (apart from the qhy) it cost me $29. I am time and date stamping with Now() outside the image when I load or refresh it each 5 minutes.

I am testing it at Leyburn this weekend and will post some results next week - first uncalibrated shots look great (of clouds) but I'm hoping for some clear shots tonight.

I haven't worked on lightning protection yet but will probably come up with something over the next few weeks

Bolton