Thread: Canon lens help
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2009, 10:59 AM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Whoah there lad. The 70-200 f2.8 L (non IS) is reputed as one of Canon's best lenses, along with the 300mm f2.8 IS. The IS version is just as sharp but with IS. Of course, wide open, it will lose some edge definition, that's pretty much unavoidable in any lens, but stopped down to f8 or so and it's *really* sharp. The same goes for any lens imho - f8 is generally the sweetspot. You'll find that the f2.8 lens is just as sharp at f4 as the f4 version is, what you're paying for is the extra stop, which can and does come in handy. I have an original 70-200 f2.8 non IS and it's my fave lens (after my macro lens that is). I find the f4 version just too light and not good enough build wise in my hands, but that's me. I prefer a 1 series body over a consumer body for exactly the same reasons - soliditity.

I really would be considering the 300mm f4 + 1.4TC. I think that will be the best and most versatile combination. I don't think anything shorter than 300mm for Safari will be of much use, at least animal wise. For general shooting, it would be good to at least have a nifty 50. Remember, zooms make you lazy. Learn to use your feet and you'll get better with composition and subject spotting imho.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by koputai View Post
Yep, I understand that, maybe I should have said 'field of view'.

From what I've been reading, the 70-200 f2.8 L-series is not very well regarded, whereas the f4 version is very highly regarded, some say it's the best tele-zoom available. What about this beastie, with the 1.4x teleconverter?

God, this is all too hard!!!

Cheers,
Jason.