View Single Post
Old 25-03-2008, 05:49 PM
Kokatha man

opinions....?

Hi all and anyone - I've dreaded asking this question in some ways; not because of fear of asking, rather information overload and a plethora of (possible) conflicting opinions!

This thread on specifically the Canon 450D seemed a good place to start my quest; seeing that a Canon 450D is, from discreet enquiring, a (possibly) very good option for my intents.

I am a complete novice at astro-imaging (not technically completely true; but my last forays were 30 or so years ago with SLR's and emulsion film, so I'd discount that!)

My primary focus (excuse the pun) will be naked eye objects (not through the scopes) taken with a camera mounted on either my HEQ5 Pro mount or on my Round Table EQ platform. Wide lenses will be utilized to capture various sky sections, with many of my shots around and within the Milky Way regions - clear, sharp images with good tonal rendition and compositional interest/dynamics is my objective (I envisage incorporating terrestial landforms into some compositions - though obviously with "soft" night effects.)

The camera would be used down the track for imaging through the scopes; but that is not its' primary purpose.

My initial questions are these: How would the 450D handle these situations and what are the mods that are touted for DSO imaging, and their particular relevance to my prime purpose for this camera?

Whilst have a "basic" understanding of DSLR's my only other understanding is the need for specific filters and of course adaptors for DSO imaging - Id be interested to know how this applies to my intended initial prime useage: also, with regards to companies such as Hutech, just what is the extent of the "mods" they carry out to them to enhance their astro-imaging capabilities?

Thanking anyone for their input, regards, Darryl.