View Single Post
Old 27-02-2008, 01:33 PM
§AB
Its only a column of dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by goober View Post
Wow, was that the "Hartung" truss scope that was advertised in Melbourne a week or so ago? Great pickup. Were you out last night? I got home from work too late ... it was about midnight by the time I was ready to head out. A quick 30 minutes with binoculars ... looked nice seeing. I'll get home earlier and get "sirius" tonight
Yep! Seeing was pretty good, but Saturn was blurring in n out of focus at 217x.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave47tuc
One scope not enough Eh!
It's like eating KFC - "I want MORE!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave47tuc
Put some wheels on the 12" then you can just wheel it in and out of the house.
no can do - the trip from my house to the backyard involves a narrow corridor, dog infested deck, 4 stairs and pomeranian crap covering the back courtyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilW
It did look like a great buy. You could always take kilos off the weight of the structure & turn it into an ultralight if you had a mind, eg:
- use a single upper ring design
- shrink the mirror box down by using bigger bearings
- shrink the rocker box.
It sure was! 12" custom built dob with hand figured mirror, a complement of accessories, 600 bucks, the trap was set!

Optical performance does look great with my rough collimation, even at 400x I got nice tight stars but seeing was getting mushy. Omega Centauri was a plethora of pinpoints at 272x and Saturn very sharp in moments of good seeing. Comparing to views in my 10" from memory, I can say that the 10" is virtually just as sharp!

This saturday, forecast is for clear skies so I'm going to fiddle with the 12" collimation and have a showdown between both scopes