View Single Post
Old 30-06-2018, 10:13 PM
thegableguy (Chris)

Okay. I've attached some quick & dirty (and pretty awful) photos here to show what I mean about there being no visible benefit to the larger aperture of the 200mm reflector over the 80mm refractor.

Each target was taken within about a minute of each other with the two different scopes (as in I changed back and forth between OTAs for each target). Same camera, same ISO & exposure settings for each target. Imported straight into the computer, cropped for comparison and exported without any editing whatsoever.

Surely I'm not alone in thinking that there should be a lot more difference than this, yeah? The flattener on the ED80 takes the ratio down to f/6.4, but that's still more than half a stop below the Newt. It should be two thirds as bright, but somehow they're within 5% of each other.

(Apologies for the quality of the shots, they're awful! I didn't align at all, just plonked down the mount in an approximation of south and crossed my fingers. Actually had to move the thing halfway through because a tree got in the way of Mars. Enough to get the idea though.)

Might post these in a new thread and see if anyone can explain why this should be.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (1.jpg)
61.4 KB22 views
Click for full-size image (2.jpg)
29.9 KB24 views
Click for full-size image (3.jpg)
82.1 KB23 views
Click for full-size image (a.jpg)
55.3 KB22 views
Click for full-size image (b.jpg)
43.9 KB22 views
Click for full-size image (c.jpg)