View Single Post
Old 11-08-2015, 11:21 AM
stefang (Stefan)

Denkmeier 21mm 3D EyePieces (LOA) First Light review

I have recently acquired a set of the 21mm Lederman Optical Array 3D EyePieces from Denkmeier. L-O-A 21 (Lederman-Optical-Array) is a revolutionary new patent pending system that allows you to see The Deepsky in 3D!! I was fortunate to receive 1 of the first 20 pairs in the initial production run.

I post BillP's excellent technical review from CN below for those that are interested. I am in no way affiliated with Denkmeier or Russ Lederman, I am merely an amateur Australian astronomer.

http://www.cloudynights.com/page/art...eyepiece-r2997

I have reposted in its entirety, my first light review from Saturday night using this amazing invention. If anyone is at Wiruna this coming new moon weekend I will have them with me, come say hi and take a look. sG

=
Saturday evening I had the opportunity to experience first light with my LOA's with my TeleVue 127is under Southern Hemisphere skies near Sydney for the first time. While I will leave it to Eddgie and BillP to elaborate on the technical aspects of the array in all there technical glory, I wanted to provide a elementary commentary on my experience.

By way of background I took up Astronomy only recently, Sept 2014. As with any of my hobbies, I entered with gusto and enthusiasm. I have flipped, bought, and sold over 5 scopes in that time, experimenting with gear, seeing what I like what I don't, and what could be improved upon. I'm the first to admit that I have been very fortunate to be able to stand on the shoulder of giants while I have pursued this amazing hobby.

5 months ago I purchased a Denkmeier Binotron from Russ, and during the sale process, he alluded to something he was working on that would be unique and a game changer.

As a novice, you don't know what you don't know, so I stayed in touch, and made sure that I was on the waiting list for one of the first pairs to come of the production line. 3D viewing of astronomy targets was something that intrigued me, and with an extensive career in working in CGI Visual Effects for Motion Pictures (Happy Feet 2, Prometheus, 3 x Harry Potter films, Great Gatsby etc) I thought I'd be well placed to see if the LOA's stood up to the chatter.

Saturday night, reasonable conditions (18.86 according to the Sky Quality meter), from my backyard, my NP127is, Gibralter 5 mount, and the LOA's. I used them with a Baader Clicklock Mirror Star Diagonal and Denkmeier Binotron with 45-OCS.

War driving to Sagittarius, and Scorpius, I sat on my chair, Headphones on listening to Hans Zimmers "InterStellar" sound track, and I swam!

I swam in one of the most enthralling visual eye candy experiences I have had as yet in this amazing hobby. I think i sat around NGC6231 (Jewel Box) for a good 40 mins, playing with the LOA moving it between Near and Far with Array EP, watching as the stars resolved, and the depth of field changed, catching the difference and subtleties of the arrays effects around the FOV with each 180 degree turn.

The LOA's truly facilitate swimming in the cosmos. Life is about experiences, and the LOA's provide the user with an experience that to date is the closest to a "SpaceWalk" experience that I have had to date. First light with the LOA's was as Ah ha moment, an order of magnitude greater than the first time I looked through a 31mm Nagler 5 through my EdgeHD 11 at Orion.

I do have a full set of TV Ethos's that up until Saturday night I thought we the closest to Space Walking EP's available. Not anymore!

I think for purists, they may find excuses why they don't like them, but for the sheer experience of diving into a world that seems only that much closer, more real, and more tactile I can't for a moment not recommend you have the experience. Now I have read the comments around "its fake 3D, its not precise et al. I'd like to say to the community, a rainbow is also an optical illusion, but does it make any less beautiful?

As the forum lists say "Seeing is believing". As a new participant in this pastime, I must say, my universe has opened up that much more from the experience of the LOA. If you get the chance, take a look, and don't be afraid if the first 15 minutes of your seeing is spent ranting expletives that would make a merchant marine blush. Its all good!

Clear Skies.
Stefan
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (LOA_21mm_orig.jpg)
91.9 KB52 views
Click for full-size image (LOA_array_797210_orig.jpg)
145.5 KB74 views