View Single Post
Old 02-11-2010, 02:49 AM
Liz

Obs report 30/10 FNQ

Our group snuck in an extra viewing night last Saturday (official one is this Sat) ... . weather has been sooo crappy all year, that a clear night has to be taken advantage of.
Was a clear night too!!! A bit murky and lots of dew, but we still managed to see a few goodies.
Obviously Jupiter was nice and easy, and a little shadow transit of Io was great.
Checked out a few stars, globs, galaxies and nebula.
Andromeda galaxy (M31) was great as usual, with M 32 and M101 in the same FOV. A real treat. Then found M33 in nearby Triangulum - a faint rounded nebulous object, no arms seen, but imagined.
Highlight of the night was the magnificent Tarantula Nebula!! Had been ages since I had seen it, which made it even better. This is a huge nebula in LMC, and is said that if it were in our galaxy, it would cast shadows!! Popped on the UHC filter, whammo.
Orion had now risen, so Orion nebula next, another stunning nebula.
Had looked for Comet Tempel hearlier, but no luck, but Comet Hartley was much easier. Nothing to write home about, but still a beloved comet, though small. Thought I could maaaaybe see a little fantail?? Views improved with my nifty comet filter.
Packed up and home by 0115 to take some pics of the Hartley.
Hoping this Saturday night will be a goody too.