View Single Post
Old 11-01-2021, 10:11 PM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Fire in the Sky!

It's been a while since I loaded an image here - been busy sorting out automation!

During Melbourne Covid lockdown #One in March last year, I decided to learn automation - along the way and with much fiddling and frustration; I've tried Kstars/Ekos directly on the mac, Voyager on PC, SGP on PC and finally ... Stellarmate!

This is my first image from my new Stellarmate/Rpi4/KStars/Ekos Macbook pro combo and I'm delighted, not so much because it's good ol' M42, but because I took it while sitting on the couch as the 'Scope- Plate solved, Locked on, Auto focussed, Calibrated, Guided, Changed filters, Meridian flipped and did it all over again for three nights!

Still some minor niggles with porting and multi-star guiding to resolve, but nearly there now = A full night's sleep while imaging at last!

I chose M42 because it's big, bright and required meridian flips to image during the night. Now most folks would agree that M42 looks best in broadband LRGB, so it's a great challenge to try and produce a pleasing narrowband colour palette. Hopefully this one works!

ASTROBIN UPDATE

Remapped colours of the Running Man & Fan to better balance emissions using Eric Coles Localised Histogram balancing method.

3 Hrs each 5nm Ha & S2, 3 Hrs 3nm O3 from my light polluted suburban location in Melbourne, Australia. Average seeing, Bortle 5/6 skies.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (M42-HaO3S2-IIS.jpg)
194.8 KB166 views

Last edited by Andy01; 12-01-2021 at 11:56 AM.