View Single Post
Old 06-02-2020, 09:49 PM
Startrek (Martin)

I had a 10” f5 solid tube dob ( nudge nudge ) for 3 years and enjoyed the views using my Televue eye pieces but it was time consuming navigating the night sky by star hopping and even harder to find objects when the moon was around. Observing planets and to a lesser extend the moon meant continually nudging the scope to keep objects in the FOV
I bought a Skywatcher 12” f5 Goto dob about 2 years ago and it’s the best move I ever made due to the following reasons -
1/ The 12” can resolve more objects than the 10” using the same eye pieces , especially galaxies and faint star clusters.The 10” could only clearly identify 4 stars in the trap of M42 but the 12” could resolve 6 stars
2/ Being a Goto I can plan my nights viewing accordingly as I know I can find objects easily and maximise my time outside ( I usually have a few extra objects up my sleeve in case I want stay out really late or should I say the wee early hours )
3/ It was frustrating having to keep nudging the 10” to keep planets in the FOV. Now I have more aperture and therefore more flexibility with eye piece focal length and magnification so my planets are larger and stay in the FOV for as long as I want.Same goes for Lunar observing
4/ A Synscan 2 Star Alignment in Alt Az mode to set tracking and Goto is extremely easy using an illuminated reticle eye piece with the hand controller. I can be aligned in 10 minutes or less
5/ Being a collapsible truss dob I can store it in my garage under some shelves , whereas the 10” solid tube took up more space
6/ I can comfortably move the 12” Goto dob extended using a Bunnings parcel trolley, a piece of foam packer and an adjustable belt strap. Garage to observing location about 14 metres on concrete driveway area ( I’m 60 years old and weigh 72kg )
7/ I certainly noticed the difference in observing going from a 10” to the 12” using the same high quality Televue eye pieces on a night of good seeing conditions
8/ If you can afford the increase and handle the weight , I recommend going for the 12” , better still get a Goto version and enjoy the benefits of technology

Hope others can pitch in and provide comments either way

Good luck

PS : My 10” f5 solid tube dob was a GSO