View Single Post
Old 08-11-2012, 10:59 PM
Stardrifter_WA
Life is looking up!

Had a look at the new EQ6 GT today and have to say that it is an impressive mount, for what it is, and definitely looks to be an LX80 killer.

It is interesting though that SW has put a lot of thought into this mount, but, and it is only a minor but, they haven't quite followed through with some finishing points. Such as, and I am not sure if this is because these are an early model and they wanted to get it to market, the counterweight shaft, unlike other SW mounts, isn't a chrome finish and appears to be just a plain metal shaft, which would be subject to rust, in time (unless kept well lubricated). Also, and this supports the idea that it they wanted to get to market quickly, it didn't have a manual.

A couple of other small bugs exist, but these do not appear to being a barrier to buying one.

I was impressed by this mount and will be buying one in the very near future, as I only want it primarily for a quick visual setup. One thing that was very interesting was the power lead-in is a screw fitting, thus considerably more secure.

Not that this means much, but I like it and I haven't previously been a fan of SW mounts.