View Single Post
Old 04-09-2014, 08:39 AM
slt (Gunther)

Hi Steffen, you are of course correct in saying that light pollution per se has little effect on being able to split tight binaries. At my place in Sydney I have, in addition to the LP, also localised seeing issues (like the oven exhaust from a takeaway next door).

At my dark site the only detriment to seeing are high atmospherics. The region is semi-arid and the ground doesn't hold on to the day's heat for very long. Temperature drops rapidly by 10+ degrees after sunset, and any wind quickly dies. Having said that, last week wasn't anywhere near perfect, both with seeing and being dark. There was quite a bit of fast moving cirrus cloud around during the day from an approaching cold front. There was also a bit of sky glow and a few remaining cirrus after dark. Even so, I was able to split 1" binaries and the SQM reading at midnight was 21.9.

As far as dew is concerned ... almost non-existent. As I mentioned above, it's semi-arid. On the coldest night (+3C) I noticed a sheen of moisture on my EP case but nowhere else, even though I don't even have a dew shield on the C11. The EP case is a yellow hard-case from Bunnings, and I have no idea how it attracted moisture, but nothing else. Maybe I was breathing over it

Last edited by slt; 04-09-2014 at 08:41 AM. Reason: spelling