Thread: Veil Nebula
View Single Post
Old 17-08-2017, 01:02 AM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

Veil Nebula

I viewed the Eastern and Western sides of this nebula tonight with a 10" Dob, using a 18mm Radian (66x) a 15mm Delite (80x) and a 11mm Nagler (109x).

The western half is easier to find as it contains a bright star (52 Cygnus) and the nebula appears of each side of the star for some length. I found 66x best to view the overall shape and 80x best to look at the nebula and see how it thickened and thinned along it length. It was quite a large, long, bowed (or curved) nebula continuing well past the full field of view. It is much more visible on one side of 52 Cygnus than the other. It become confusing at 109x, so this was of little use on the western half.

However, the eastern half seemed brighter and easier to see and curved in the opposite direction. 109x was useful on this side, but I found 80x to be more applicable. Without a bright star to centre on, this was the more difficult side to find.

I tried to follow around where I imagined that the circular shape of the supernova remnant should have been, but saw no more nebula. Looking at charts afterwards gives me the impression that I should have seen more, but missed it.

These observations were made about midnight and the nebula had just passed it maximum altitude for my location.