View Single Post
Old 15-05-2019, 09:02 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Had a squizz at the Moon last night, with one of my main aims being to nab the three concentric craters Hesiodus A, Gambart J and Fontenelle D.

Hesiodus A is surprisingly easy to see and make out its bullseye structure. I have done so many sketches around that area, but Hesiodus A has always escaped my attention, yet it is so blooming easy to make out its concentric structure... Easy to make out at 100X.

Gambart J is not 7km in diameter as listed. If Hesiodus A is 15km, then Gambart J should still be easy pickings at higher magnification. But it's a real challenge. Seeing conditions were not too good last night, and other than seeing a small crater, I wasn't able to pull out its concenctric nature. Seeing conditions need to be much better for this little sucker. When I saw Marth a few weeks ago, yes seeing was much, much better that night.

Fontenelle D is a tricky sucker too. It is easy to see this crater, but it is much more foreshortened due to its closer proximity to the lunar limb. It also needs the terminator to be further away from it than it was last night as the crater's interior was totally in shadow. If I could have another shot at it tonight I'm sure the crater floor would be better illuminated, though the foreshortening would mean a bit more concentration to make out its internal structure.

Alex.