Thread: Pentax DSLR
View Single Post
Old 20-09-2005, 05:53 PM
fringe_dweller
on the highway to Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by janoskiss

Why do the Pentax seem less popular than Canons and Nikons with similar specs?
I am only dreaming at the moment, but if I did get a DSLR it would be for astrophotography.
Steve, the canons are considered to have the best and biggest range of quality lenses available, also the canons have the CMOS type chip instead of the CCD chip - which is considered superior in low noise and sensitivity in long duration exposure astro stuff, or was? - dont think that is the case now?. Also the canon RAW mode is/was? considered the only true RAW mode out there - RAW mode means zero compression - so it can be manipulated and cleaned up more post imaging(Nikon got into hot water about theirs not being a true RAW mode at one stage) but seeing a lot of people just using jpeg mode with great results - i dont know anymore. Also the canon 20D is prized for the fact that the amp shuts down on long exposures - and as a result you dont have to remove the noise/glow it makes.
With adapting older style lenses there can be issues with back focus and autofocus i think? - pity coz we have some great old K- mount pentax/tamron prime lenses i would like to use from our old pentax manual 35mm film cameras.
I read in Covingtons book that he thought some of the best astro prime lenses were made in the 70's and i think that included some pentax ones.
Also canons image stabilisation on board software/lenses are considered the best and cutting edge at that job (not that that has anything to do with astro work - but bird/action photogrphers love it - dont even need a tripod with telephoto lenses) - also the thing with digital cameras is the proprietry on board software differs in quality - nikon and canon are considered the best in that area - or so I believe - that may be out of date info now.
but with daylight shots there is very little diff between the brands with cameras of equal quality.
kearn

Last edited by fringe_dweller; 20-09-2005 at 06:16 PM.