View Single Post
Old 11-03-2009, 05:37 PM
ngcles
The Observologist

Cup of tea ...

Hi PGC & All,

Off hand, I don't know where you'd find a dedicated list of Carbon stars but I'll have a poke round and see what I can find some time soon. One place to start a search is via SIMBAD.

http://simbad.u-strasbg.fr/simbad/sim-fid

Do a search on a prominent carbon star (say V Hydrae) and somewhere in the list of references they supply will be a paper that will refer to this star within a list of other similar stars. Just keep poking around in SIMBAD and you come up with something.

BTW, have I mentioned here before how much I hate the SIMBAD interface ...

I know what you mean about PNe and galaxies -- -- I love 'em too. Peter Wiliams tried long and hard to convert me to the "dark side" but I just didn't have it in me ... at that time. Who knows what's down the track though?

Many moons ago, I used to write the deep-sky column for the SASI (Sutherland Astronomical Society) journal and Peter wrote (still writes sometimes) the Variable suff for the same club rag. He'd sometimes shadow what I written the previous edition and point out all the "really interesting variable stars" that were in the same or adjacent fields to the "really boring deep sky objects" I'd written about in the preceding issue.

Best,

Les D