View Single Post
Old 03-02-2013, 05:06 PM
Shark Bait (Stu)
'ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha'

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzEclipse View Post
Stu,
I only purchased v6 a week ago using the special $99 pricing deal they have for SN Pro plus 6. Probably means SN v7.0 will be out next week

So I'm running v6.4.3. I updated my objects list a few days ago after installing and DA 14 is in my SN object list but still generates completely wrong coordinates. It's not just parallax shifted but looks like the wrong inclination. I haven't compared the elements but it's obvious the orbital elements are very wrong. Inclination is out by 60 or so degrees.

The path shows DA 14 traveling between a point south of the SMC to a point south of the LMC.

The horizons path has it traveling mostly northwards accelerating during the night with a small and pretty constant eastwards motion.

Joe
I have just checked my copy of Starry Night Enthusiast and it is Version 6.4.3 as well. Since I last looked, Simulation Curriculum have released an automatic update that includes Asteroid 2012 DA14. Their orbital path almost matches the data that I manually added to the new asteroid objects but it is still a long way off when compared to the JPL data. Obviously, I will be using the JPL data for my location that I plotted onto the paper star charts.

To be fair, I am surprised that they added Asteroid 2012 DA14 to their updates. This is what they have to say about NEO's on their online help site:

Starry Night's asteroid data file (the Asteroids.txt file in your Sky Data folder# contains a selection of interesting objects. There are far more such objects available than we include in Starry Night; if we included the hundreds of thousands of known asteroids, the average home computer would not be able to run the simulation. In addition, the orbital data for some near-Earth asteroids #NEOs) are changing so quickly that we do not include them, in the interests of accuracy.

The rest of SN's help information for NEO's can be found at this link:
https://support.simulationcurriculum...n-starry-night