View Single Post
Old 27-10-2015, 11:36 AM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
That's the problem - figuring out HOW to make the scaled image and be readily readable elsewhere is an issue with PI
No, it's an issue with file formats like TIFF and FITS that have lots of options and programs which sometimes break the rules. PI takes the approach of offering you the ability to tweak every available parameter. This adds complexity but also functionality.

Here's an example: the FITS format doesn't specify the valid range of floating point data values. PI assumes it is 0..1. CCDStack assumes it is 0..65536. Neither option is more correct than the other. PI gives you the option to read and write CCDStack compatible FITS files but you have to know what you are doing. CCDStack can only read and write its own format.

I know which behaviour and philosophy I prefer. You may prefer something different. That's cool and why there are different products successfully competing in the same niche. I don't know why we have to waste time arguing about whether strawberry is better than chocolate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
I think PI assumes the user has a PHD in Pixel Math
Yes, and I think it is a deliberate choice on the part of the developers. It isn't possible to build a product that everybody will find intuitive, so they've identified their target audience (which is geeks like them) and they cater for that audience very well. Others not so much