View Single Post
Old 02-02-2007, 07:18 PM
DobDobDob (Ron)
Blacktown isn't so black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaroo View Post
It's not too bad at home, no. It's much better out at The Oaks or Belanglo Forest where our astronomy club (Macarthur Astro Society) goes though. You should come along one night and have a peek!

Cheers
Chris
That is not as easy as it sounds, I have every Sunday night off and then if I know something special is happening, I can reorganize my roster to have either a Wednesday or Thursday night off, but never a Friday or Saturday night.

I have been scouring the astronomy clubs looking for one of them that has dark site observing night on either Wednesday/Thursday nights but there are few that are close. I noticed that North Sydney follows the lunar calendar in having dark nights on days when the moon is at its smallest, however their site does not really spell out the exact days i.e. a mid-week as opposed to a weekend after the best lunar conditions.

Most of the clubs have their non-observing meetings at times that I might be able to get to, but observing, field work is what it's all about for me. I need to use a range of telescopes to make a firm judgement on what I like before spending lots of money on my telescope. No point in purchasing something that is not matched to my interests and observing style.