View Single Post
Old 29-01-2015, 08:54 AM
sopticals (Stephen)

Smile Fusing Blanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mental4astro View Post
your gluing attempt and another mirror I've seen, has got me thinking about glass lamination. Not through gluing, but as you mentioned, fusing.

Starting with stress-free blanks, the heating and cooling cycles would need to be very long in order to not introduce stresses.

Interesting.
Hi Alex,

If you were interested in building sandwich type blanks, it would be ok (from my checking around the web), to use similar to my method in that epoxy is used to locate components, ie the two glass discs and glass pillars, then find a kiln, go through the fusing and annealing cycles and all should be good. It seems the epoxy is not a problem as it just burns away leaving a clean fuse.

Shouldnt be too difficult to find a suitable kiln close to your locality. Even in Oamaru (a few minutes drive from my place), I know of two kilns which could do the work, one of which I have approached, $100 for the work, but unfortunately was only able to take blanks to about 600mm, (my 25.2"[640mm] a tad too big). The other kiln, (which I havent visited as yet), can accommodate blank diameters to around 1 meter.

Last edited by sopticals; 29-01-2015 at 07:09 PM.