View Single Post
Old 17-12-2005, 08:33 PM
Miaplacidus (Brian)
He used to cut the grass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin
G'day, I am interested in developing a lifelong hobby in astronomy. I live in QLD, on the Gold Coast. I am planning on driving 25 mins away from the coast to the national parks for darker skies when I have decided which telescope am going to invest in. I am prepared to invest $6,000 for long term hardware. I am interested in viewing high quality DSO?s and I do not plan on astrophotography.

I am fortunate to have a local mentor who is prepared to help me with any problems I encounter. This has reduced my newbie concerns about manually locating DSO?s with the DOB style telescopes.

Please let me know if you have any advice and tips.
Best regards

Harlequin
Sorry, Harlequin, but I am now going to sound like a very, VERY old fart. It's good that you have someone to help you, but I still believe that the very first thing you need to buy is membership to a local astro club. Then binoculars and a basic star chart. A newcomer with a big budget is still a newcomer, and a big budget to me just means more potential to make a very expensive mistake. There is simply no substitute for looking through (and at) lots and lots of other people's telescopes actually in use.

Really, if I was in your position, I might even consider buying a 80-100 mm apo triplet on a fantastic alt-az mount with digital setting circles. The DSCs you'd be able to migrate across to any dob you get later, and I bet the refractor would always get a lot of use, one way or another. Still, I don't even want to pretend that this sounds anything like the right choice for you right now.

Cheers,

Brian.