Thread: Wind power
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2019, 09:08 AM
Sunfish (Ray)

I have organised the installation of energy efficient systems in several houses. I looked into wind for a site which had a little too much shade but found that wind was a problem any where near the ground. So you are lucky to have a hill in open country with a six meter tower, taller even better, with German made generator.

Vertical axis generators were very popular for a while as they work in less wind and more flukey dirty wind near buildings. Correct speed is critical for power. But some of those installations failed also probably due to the extreme mechanical stress involved in catching wind power and a requirement for constant maintenance. Hard up in the air.

Solar power has become so cheap and involves no moving parts that it is simpler to add more panels to a poor site. The other important issue is that most of the energy cost in buildings is heat generation and cooling. Lighting can be solved with complete led systems.

An earth sourced , (or water sourced ) heat pump , together with solar panels to power the compressor can completely cool and heat a house with reasonable thermal mass , along with all the hot water you can use. All this than be done when the sun is shining and hot water stored. If you have property you may not need to drill 30m holes as we did, although this is more efficient as you can simply lay a lot of refrigerant pipe a few meters down in a big loop.

Saves many thousands of dollars per year. Compressors have moving parts but a high quality unit is very reliable . But it must be high quality or the idea fails. My Australian made air sourced heat pump unit is more than 15 years old and stil saving $500 worth of gas per quarter. My next installation will be earth sourced.