View Single Post
Old 08-08-2016, 08:47 PM
thegableguy (Chris)

Understanding it's likely beyond your budget, but I just want to say again that the Sigma Art series are RIDICULOUSLY good.

Though we mainly use the Nikkor zooms, we've had a few primes over the years and the Arts are significantly better than the best Nikkor primes we've seen. Razor sharp all the way to the edges, even wide open. My wife is a professional portrait photographer and I've worked as second shooter with some pro product photographers & videographers before; we've had some great opportunities to compare various lenses side by side, and the Arts always come out on top.

They're not cheap, but we got both our 35mm and our 50mm for about $600 apiece on Gumtree. You know best, but my wife and I will say strongly that they're worth saving for. The sharpness really is astonishing.

Although having said that, you're using the D700...? Really great camera (we still miss ours!) but the lower resolution might mean you can't actually take full advantage of the sharpness, so yeah perhaps the cheaper options aren't that bad an idea.

Even so, I'd steer clear of the Tamron. I've only used a few but they've all been just a bit too far down the cheap/nasty end of the spectrum. I could've had bad or old examples every time; possibly they're better now than they were 3-4 years ago... no idea. But my personal experience has never been good, and ditto for many pro photographers I've spoken to.