View Single Post
Old 24-04-2015, 06:14 PM
Bassnut (Fred)
Narrowfield rules!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRejto View Post
Hi Ray,

I question whether taking an "average" of 7 subs actually represents a 21 min sub taken during the same interval. Wouldn't the 21 min sub be more heavily weighted towards whatever was the worst moment of seeing during the exposure? Taking an average would seem to make the sub better than it might be. I guess I'm thinking about an analogy towards guiding when I write this. It doesn't take much guide error, or very long, to destroy a sub that "averaging" wouldn't fix. I'm pretty sure you will adjust my thinking!!

Peter
Im right out of my expertise here, but doesnt RMS guiding count more than average or PP for extended objects on long exposures?. OK, stars are destroyed by an outlier excursion, but in my experience short exposures (on extended objects) are more sensitive to bad guiding and seeing than long exposures!.

Edit: I might expand on that. More data on a longer sub (and lower noise) even if its not as sharp as a short sub, allows more application of decon and sharpening before noise becomes obvious and artifacts occur ?.

Last edited by Bassnut; 24-04-2015 at 07:04 PM.