View Single Post
Old 30-08-2011, 07:44 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

G'day Paul,

I have the QHY-12 which shares a lot of the same DNA as the QHY-10 and I'm quite happy with it. It has had a couple of weird turns, but always seems to recover with some power cycling and rebooting. The rest of the time it takes really nice images. Stars are a little bloated but that seems to be a "feature" of OSC cameras. Image downloads are also a bit slow, but then it is sucking down 14.2Mpix at a time. Colour and sensitivity are good. Cooling is also very effective. The sensor is amazingly noise free. Local support is very good, of course...

I also have a SX H18 camera and it is a very nice unit. My take is that the QHY cameras are great bang for the buck. The SX cameras seem a bit better quality-wise, but at a greater cost. TANSTAAFL, unfortunately

I'm a bit skeptical of the claimed full well depth for the QHY-10. I couldn't find any independent evidence of this when I was comparing the QHY-10 and QHY-12 and I did find inconclusive data that pointed to a figure closer to the other QHY OSCs.

Cheers,
Rick.