View Single Post
Old 20-01-2019, 09:32 AM
Scoper (Malcolm)

So glad you posted this Jeremy; I have started visual observing again after dabbling in imaging for a while. My story goes like this: I bought a Celestron Evolution 6 two years ago as I wanted a Goto telescope to save me getting neck-ache peering through the finder scope while star hopping with a ten inch Dob.
Next came a ZWO asi185 camera after reading about imaging with the Evo range of scopes and it escalated from there. Lots of cursing and frustration later I have managed to get quite a few images that are acceptable to me. Now, in order to progress with imaging I soon realised that I would have to spend a lot more money for some decent gear and I just wasn't prepared to do that as I don't have that sort of money and I'm not that interested.
About a fortnight ago I got out my ten inch Dob and 20X80 binocs for a visual only session and thoroughly enjoyed it despite the neck-ache. No need for Wifi or any other electronics and the frustration that comes with all that stuff.
For me there is nothing to compare with being outside visually observing, making notes and getting that immense feeling of "being a part of it" (I know that's a cliche but it is also true for me).
There is nothing wrong with imaging and many people get enjoyment out of it and I will continue with it now and then but I have to be honest with myself that visual observing gives me the most enjoyment.
By the way, I've started using the Evo 6 for its intended purpose; a visual goto scope; what a great little scope it is too.