View Single Post
Old 14-01-2019, 12:05 PM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

Personally Photoshop makes me cringe for astrophotography. tools just dont have precision greater than 8bits mostly. PixInsight is just awesome but yes the learning curve can be steeper than walking on the ceiling. But its easy for me to understand and work with (not intuitive without learning it), AstroPixelProcessor gives close to PI results and much easier to use for beginners or simple brainless workflow, its really hard to fault its results and capabilities but its tools I find annoying to tweak and take the output into PI. Startools I badly wanted to like and following tutorials was easy but when I put my poor resolution data into it I can't get the same sort of adjustments with it. So I've given up on it. Nebulosity and AstroArt simliarly I bought years ago and havent used as they weren't friendly to my capture format and workflow needs. Thats not to say they are bad programs only I'm a BAD user and just cant get my head around them. For me PixInsight does it all, the hardest part of all these programs is understanding what each tool it has is for and therefore when to use it. Just like there are times a saw is the tool to use not the hammer. But if you don't understand what a saw or hammer does or how to use it or when then it doesn't matter how shiny or expensive your box of tools is. Its really best to try all the programs you can. and that means actually try. If you look at a screenshot and just go "nope thats too hard" then there's no program you'll ever be happy with since you clearly dont give these things a proper try. ie use demo versions, go through a variety of tutorials by different people (not everyone is a good communicator so a poor tutorial can put you off or make things more confusing. If you want good processing as brainless as possible I recommend AstroPixelProcessor as you don't need to do any tweaking to get a good final jpeg image from it. just run each of the numbered tabs steps in order and default values are pretty good.