View Single Post
Old 25-08-2020, 08:55 PM
bluesilver (Peter)

Ok, had a bit of a play tonight and kind of gotten worse as the night went on funny enough.
I am starting to think if i have an issue with the head unit itself.
But hoping it is just me, So this is what i have got and done so far:

With the tripod itself, i removed that black locator pin and moved it to the opposite side,
Reason for doing this was so that the black locator pin lines up with the tripod leg that faces South,
As it was out of the box, it was setup with the black pin sitting in the middle of two legs meaning the guide leg would have to be facing North, kind of as if it is set up for the Northern hemisphere.

Tried many times doing a two star alignments, and always coming up with about 2 hours or more out, I think it read something like
002 030’ 10” but not 100% sure, was getting frustrated by this point sorry.

Even after i went through the polar alignment setup moving the Altitude adjustment bolts, then enter, the proceed to move the Azimuth bolts, was getting frustrated by this point sorry. as instructed by the hand unit.
Then after doing a second 2 star alignment, find the 1st star is out, move it back and continue on through the process.
Slews to 2nd star is also way out also, more so than when i first started.

Only at the to find the polar alignment is still out bu about the same as when i fist started,
Go through the polar Alignment process again to find i am still moving the mount about the same amount in the same direction as before.
( now out of adjustment in the Azimuth bolts)

Now these amount I am talking about are way out, having to use the red dot finder to get the star back to the eye piece right from the first stage of all this.

Got a bit frustrated as you could imagine, so just out of interest, i switched it all of, turned it all back on, selected brightest star alignment, got that aligned on Hadar, then thought i wold test it out by just selecting to view Jupiter, the scope didn't hardly leave the Southern cross.
After than i just packed it up, need to figure out what i am doing wrong or if i have a faulty head unit.

I am use to the Dobsonian got mounts, you to have them sitting level, pointing South, and tube level before powering on.

Do i need to do anything special with these mounts?
When i power it on i select the first option EQ mode.
I have the tripod setup so that when the head unit is on it is facing South, and the Altitude set at 41 degrees for my location.

Do i need the telescope to be pointing in a general direction?
I just have it so that the counter weights are at the bottom and roughly in line with the leg facing South and the scope it pointing South if that makes sense?

The handheld unit itself is having great difficulty searching for the second star, always saying please wait searching and taking a good 5 seconds sometimes before it finds one and then you only get like 10 stars and it repeats itself, can take up to a minute to get through these.

Oh and the LED on the head unit is constantly blinking also, is this normal?
Have i got a bad unit all up or is all this just my setup procedure?

Very frustrating at the moment, if anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Peter.

Last edited by bluesilver; 25-08-2020 at 09:08 PM.