View Single Post
Old 03-06-2020, 08:33 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

When my wife retired she wanted to be "close to the sea".
After a long search we ended up in St Leonards on the Bay side of the Bellarine.
We're one street back from the beach front with sea views ( and about $1 million cheaper!!).
We've been down here just over five years and I can comment on a couple of things.
The summer rush of tourists/ campers etc. - the village has x4 or x5 more traffic and the main street has more people than Lygon St.!! For three months of the year it can be "very interesting"

The weather conditions vary from good to terrible. I was not expecting the wind. We seem to get strong winds every second day. The sea mist also plays havoc windows which need cleaning every month, the humidity in the shed makes everything rust. In the garden not all plants like the sea air!

( We were previously in Heathcote north of the ranges and never in twenty years had issues like that)
For astronomy - Hmmm The seeing conditions are bad, much much worse than Heathcote. OK, I'd say for occasional (when the weather and wind allows) visual work but I honestly wouldn't try serious AP. I only do solar during the day and spectroscopy, which is a little more forgiving about the seeing conditions.

Living in the small village away from the city is great (most of the time), walking on the beach and enjoying the laid back lifestyle makes for a pleasant existence.

Remember hospitals etc. are a fair distance away and serious shopping means a 40 min trip to Geelong.

Hope this helps.