View Single Post
Old 26-11-2020, 09:26 PM
pberrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by astro744 View Post
The camera you have has a 4.5mm x 3.4mm sensor. (5.7mm across the diagonal. With your 900mm focal length telescope at prime focus you will get about 0.36 deg. field of view across the diagonal of the chip. This is very narrow for asteroid hunting.

Field of view (deg) = diameter or width of chip (mm) x 57.3 /focal length of telescope or lens (mm).

I believe the SV-205 has 3264 x 2448 pixels each 1.4microns across which equates to 4.5mm x 3.4mm (approx). or 5.7mm across the diagonal of the chip. A 90mm camera lens for example will give you 10x the field at 3.6 deg. (Or a sensor 10x the size such as a full frame DSLR or bigger. - DSLR not quite 57mm across the diagonal, only 43mm but you get the idea).
Thanks

With cost considerations everything is a bit of a compromise. I am happy to accept a smaller field of view because I was able to purchase an as new skyscan mount + 130P/900 newtonian for just $430 total which I think was a good deal for a beginner starting out.

Down the track I am considering purchasing a second hand full frame dslr which would improve things a bit. But first I need to get my hands dirty to see what kind of performance I can get out of my telescope.

At some point over summer I will take my gear out to Warburton where it is much darker and do some astrophotography there. Its light profile is similar to Lancefield where I grew up and I have vivid recollections of how amazing the night sky looked out there.

cheers Peter

Last edited by pberrett; 26-11-2020 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Trump demanded a recount of my bad spelling